Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Day 239: Drawing a blank

Wow. Work today must have just sapped the muse entirely. I can't come up with anything that sounds like it's worth expounding on tonight.

[sigh]

I guess I can wax poetical on my weekend. Candace and I went out to my niece Amber's wedding and I was so glad I made the effort to get there and share that special day with Amber and Andrew. She was such a beautiful bride and I was honored to be invited to share it with the family, both old and new. With their marriage, the family has grown to include the Howells, Andrew's family in Wales. I met several of them, and they are as nice a family as you could hope to have join your own. Some very pretty girls in the mix. They just look much older than they actually are, which is enough to make me start shuddering about Candace in a few years. I'm going to be in dad Hell when she's old enough to date and develops a real interest in boys. The reception was nice, and mixing with all the friends and family was nice. Most of them knew me on site from Facebook and my blog, oddly enough. In that regard, I was at a disadvantage. Outside of family members, I had no idea who anyone was.

About 9 or so, the reception started winding down so I let Candace go home with her grandparents and I went off to meet with my friend Chrisy at the bar she was at Friday night. It was a divey little country bar called Trout's. She was there for a birthday party and she asked me to go along. I got there and swapped my black vest for my rebel vest and I fit right in. There were a few cuties there, one of which was seriously focused on me for the entire night. Chrisy got tired about 1 am so I took her back to her place and then went back to the bar. In the short time I was gone, the cutie's friends apparently had an attack of common sense and told me she was going home with them. I just shrugged and went back to Chrisy's house to get some sleep. More on the cutie later, though.

The next day, Chrisy and I went to breakfast with her daughter and her boyfriend and their son. I tried some pumpkin pancakes with pecan butter and they were GOOD! I mean, really good. I had about a quarter of one pancake and I was full. Chrisy and I went back to her place to watch some TV and chat for a while before I went to get Candace from her grandparents. Chrisy has a couple of dogs, including a purebred Wiener dog and I thought Candace would like to play with them. I was right. Candace had a good time playing with the dogs. I took her back to her grandparents' house and then went back to get Chrisy. We went out to Chuy's for dinner and to see a band that was playing called Diver Down. We shared a tri-tip sandwich and then we had some drinks. I stuck to lemonade. She was putting away a beer called shock top, apparently an orange flavored ale. I wasn't really paying attention to her drinking since I was having a conversation with Carin. Carin and I have been friends since high school, and we tried dating about 22 or 23 years ago. It didn't work out for us. We valued our friendship to much to complicate it with anything more than that. I suppose we could have worked past it, but we didn't want to risk screwing up the friendship. A while after that, the cutie showed up as well, and she asked me where I had disappeared to the night before. I told her what her friends had said and she got a tad upset at them, but didn't pursue me any further Saturday night. She started hitting on another guy there. Again, I just shrugged and walked away. Carin nudged me and said, "You can do better than being her 'flavor of the night'." I responded with "More importantly, I don't want to catch the 'disease du jour'." I'm actually happy that nothing happened between the cutie and I. It made me realize how fond I have become of Stephanie and that I don't want to screw up what's building between us by getting a taste of a "little strange" when I'm out of town. Chrisy had too much to drink and got sick so I had to drive her home. I went straight to bed once she went into her room and spent the next hour texting with Stephanie.

Sunday I spent with the family. We just sat around talking and sharing time together.My mom made her spaghetti (which Candace and I love). Then we just spent more time talking and joking and having a good time. Monday morning Candace and I headed out back to Vegas.

So that was my weekend in a nutshell.

Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment