Saturday, January 22, 2011

Day 13: The After Action Report on my night out

Ok, so traffic getting out to the place was horrendous. I sat on the same stretch of freeway for at least 15 minutes. I called my best friend to advise her to take a different route. She hates sitting in traffic more than I do. I finally got there and parked a good way away and on an upper level so I could walk to the bar and use the stairs. Good little workout there. I also walked around the shopping center for about 20 minutes to get more walking in.

Once I walked in to the bar, I had an OMG moment. The place was packed and it wasn't even 7 o'clock yet. I ordered some water and sat on a back bench while I watched for a table to open up. Finally about 720 or so, a table opened up and I jumped to get on it to hold it. About 20 minutes after that my best friend and her current boyfriend showed up.

Bit of background: My best friend was my girlfriend up until about 5 months ago. She met this guy and wanted to explore what she was feeling, but she wanted to keep me as a best friend. That wasn't easy for me, not in any way, shape or form. But I knew that if I wanted any chance to repair our relationship I had to let her have her freedom to choose and explore what she's feeling. I knew that if I tried to force a decision, I would have lost her entirely. So I agreed to break up and remain friends and work at being best friends. That part of it has actually turned out better than I had expected.

Anyway, they show up and I had promised her that I would play nice. Unfortunately, playing nice indicates that some sort of interaction will take place. This guy wouldn't even acknowledge my existence. She told me that he was insecure and felt threatened by me, but this was a first for me. I've never had anyone so pointedly ignore my presence. Probably for the best, but damn! At least have the decency to look me in the eyes. He wouldn't even do that.

So the band starts and more friends show up and I spend a good part of the night enjoying the music, drinking water and eventually got up to dance with one of the ladies at my table. I saw my Best Friend and him dancing and I wanted to do nothing more than just walk up, take her by the hand and leave with her, but that would have been violating the "play nice" promise. I think I overextended myself on the dance floor because soon after that, my strength started dropping like water in a bathtub that's had it's plug pulled. I said my goodbyes and headed out while I knew I could get home on my own. My best friend came over and asked if I was OK, and I told her what was going on. She asked me to text her so she would know I got home safely. I said I would and I left for home. I listened to a few specific tunes to match my mood (Head and the Heart, Forever, Who wants to live forever, and In the End) and got home and had some more protein and went to bed. I texted her and let her know I was OK.

As talented as I am with words and phrases, I can't seem to find the right words to show her how I really feel about her. I love her. It's as simple as that. But that phrase is never as simple as that.

Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment