Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day 40: After Action Report on Friday

So Friday turned out to be a pretty good day after all. No overtime, customers were sensible and sane and I got my walks in at the office. Then I went straight home, changed my clothes and worked out. Instead of doing the heavier weights which really killed my workout routine, I went back to my original weights and did more reps and sets for a longer, more productive workout. I did 5 sets of 15-20 reps for each exercise and I was definitely feeling the burn when I was done. I really had to push through on the last set to complete the set. Then I did 30 minutes on the treadmill, hill profile, level 3 starting at 3.3 miles per hour. I increased speed every 10 minutes so by the time I completed the program, I was doing 3.5 miles per hour. 5 minute cooldown and I felt great after that.

I went back to the condo and had some soup for dinner and then relaxed for a while before I got ready to go out to the Karaoke bar. It was pretty dead last night. I sang two of my original 3 songs within an hour of the shows starting and I nailed those songs. Bad to the Bone and It's a Sin are always good crowd pleasers. My third one, Here I go again, that needs some work. God sent me another humbler on that one. My last one, though, Enter Sandman, that had a bunch of pretty women dancing on the floor and (what was left of) the small crowd screaming. It tore up my throat something fierce, though. I think my throat is gonna be sore for at least another day. I was going to do Weekend in New England as well, but it was late after my fourth song and I decided to call it quits and head for home. It was after 2 when I got to bed.

Final thought on yesterday: I got all of my protein and water in yesterday, which felt pretty good.

I woke up at 543 this morning and could not get back to sleep no matter what. So I decided to get an early start on cleaning my place up after I wrote the blog today. Later this morning I'll be going to workout, maybe a little longer than usual since it is a weekend and I have a day to make up for from earlier in the week.

One quick observation: I've seen where uninformed people think that Weight Loss Surgery is the "easy way" out for weight loss. They ask, "Why don't you just exercise more and eat less?" blah blah blah. For the record, this surgery is not easy. This is a permanent change and you have to change everything permanently. It can't be reversed, we still have to watch what we eat, and we still have to exercise. We lose time from work because of the surgery, we are weakened after the surgery until we heal, and some people have gotten sick from the surgery and their recovery is very difficult. I count myself very lucky that I had such a successful surgery. In some ways, it's actually much harder after having the surgery, because we have to carefully monitor what we eat and how much of it we eat, we have to hydrate constantly to get the necessary water we need, and we have to be careful not to over do our exercise, especially the first six months after surgery. We have to be more disciplined after surgery than someone who hasn't had the surgery. I defy anyone to say that this surgery is an easy way out. It's not easy, but the results are definitely worth it.

I'm going to step off my soapbox now and say...

Tioraidh!

No comments:

Post a Comment