Monday, July 4, 2011

Day 174: Monday Weigh-In

I crawled out of bed at 5 am, said my mantra and stepped on the scale. My body weight 25 weeks post op is 264 pounds. That's a 4 pound loss for the week, 129 pounds lost since surgery, and 156 pounds lost overall. It kind of feels like once I got past the half way mark, my body decided to just keep shedding the weight. Either that or my body is responding as much to my mindset as everything else. You always hear that if you believe in something, really truly believe in something then you start to make it happen. When I decided to get this surgery, the most important thing I had to do was adjust my mindset to my new lifestyle. As sleevers, we all know what we have to do to change and succeed at this. I still see people having had the surgery still eating the same things (just less of it) and having the same exercise habits as before. Or I see or hear complaints about the taste or smell of the protein shakes or shots. Or they can't stand drinking all the water and they are still drinking sodas. At this point, I have to say, "Get a clue, people!" If you don't change your habits, you can't change your life. We all know that the sleeve is a tool, and it's up to us to use that tool wisely and make it work for us. Don't be trying to work around the sleeve and eat the same shit you used to eat. I don't much care for the taste of the protein shots or shakes, but I've gotten used to it and I use them to make sure I get my protein in for the day. Again, another tool to use in the project of rebuilding myself. I know I sound like I'm preaching and I guess I am. I just can't see why you would undergo this particular surgery and not change everything else to make it work at its best potential. The surgery is highly invasive (removing 80 percent of your stomach is invasive, I don't care what they say) causes a fair bit of pain and discomfort and is irreversible, unlike the lap band and gastric bypass. If you're going to go through all of that, why wouldn't you change things to get the best results? Why stay with the same old habits and patterns that made you overweight to begin with? Make a change for the better and make this sleeve work for you.

And I'm not preaching to anybody that is working the sleeve properly and still having trouble with stalls or slow loss. If what I described doesn't apply to you, then don't sweat it. I don't believe in political correctness on my blog, and if you take offense at what I said, you have two choices: 1) Get over it, because I'm not changing my writing style or opinions or 2) Quit reading my blog. And don't waste your time or my time complaining about it to me. Any questions, refer back to choices 1 & 2.

And for my Unapologetically American readers out there, have a safe and sane Independence Day! It's the 4th of July, so go out and have some fun today and tonight and remember what we are celebrating today. July 4th is the day we declared our independence from the tyranny of Great Britain.

See y'all later!

2 comments:

  1. Amen brother- it drives me insane to read all the complaining about the taste of protein drinks or not understanding why they are not losing even though they don't even really track what they eat.

    BTW, the bypass is not reversible. The pouch stretches eventually, but is not reversible, and certainly the rerouted intestines stay rerouted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bypass is reversible in that it can be surgically reversed. Not that it can suddenly reverse itself.

    ReplyDelete