Friday, April 22, 2011

Day 102: Noticing things.

Any time a person undergoes massive weight loss, things change and some are really visibly noticeable. The weight loss changes the way the body looks, even the way the face looks. Those things are really visible to everyone. But there are somethings that you just kind of gloss over until it really sinks in and you say "Hey! That's different!"

For me, the first one of those events was two weeks after surgery. I was down 29 pounds and while I was waiting for my doctor, I was able to cross my legs while sitting. I was just sitting there and all of a sudden it hit me that I crossed my legs without having to pull up my leg with my hands and my leg was actually crossed over, not just my ankle hooked on my knee (barely). Things that people without a weight problem just take for granted are miraculous when you can do them. It almost seems ridiculous, but it's a huge morale booster.

The second one that I noticed was when I was able to sit down, bend over and tie my shoes without pulling my foot up on the bed to do it. Again, it just kind of hit me that I was doing it. Another "wow!" moment for me.

The third...Well, I've discussed it a couple of times in the past and it's the same physical thing that I discussed before so I'm not going to go into the details this time. See days 64 and 80 for the gross details. Let's just say the word "hello!" comes to mind. Or "schwing!". Both work in this case.

The fourth was when I pulled my engineers boots on and I didn't have to fight them over my feet or up my calves. They just slipped on without any effort and they actually fit a little loose. That was amazingly cool for me.

Today I had a couple of these "Hey!" moments. One was during my walk this morning and as I was walking, I noticed my arms weren't brushing my sides. Again, just all of a sudden realized it. The second was when I had to use the restroom and the big stall was in use and I stepped into a standard stall and I took care of everything without having to perform any of the seven basic ballet movements. I know, it seems really silly, but that was a huge development for me.

As good as the big changes make you feel, these little changes feel pretty good too. Little changes that add up to getting where you want to be with your weight.


Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment