Monday, March 7, 2011

Day 56: My first Krav Maga class.

Unbelievable. That's the only way I can describe this class. We started with some seriously hardcore calisthenics for a warm up and I kept up as best I could considering it was my first time to do it. I did not give up and I didn't ask to stop, I kept going as best I could. The teachers gave me credit for not giving up. When we went into the actual training, brutal is the only way I can describe it. There's no holding back, no put the opponent down easily. The basic rule of this class is stop the opponent by any means possible and don't stop until they cannot fight back. If they back off and stop before it gets into an actual fight, you let them go. But once the fight starts, You don't stop until they are unconscious or otherwise incapable of fighting back. We went right into knife neutralization techniques. I've never seen that before in a class so quickly. The class was about an hour and fifteen minutes. I was able to go for about half an hour before my body sent me the stop signals. The teachers saw what was going on and told me to sit the rest of the class out but to stay and watch. I was ready to leave, but I was glad I stayed. I got really motivated to go back for more. This kind of hardcore training will get me trim and lean quickly. I'll keep going and keep training until I can perform the calisthenics the way they want it performed and I can get through the whole class without needing to rest.

The teacher said at the end of class that we have to develop a button that will tell us when to go into that kind of kill mode. I already have the button. I've always had it. Now I'm going to refine my techniques and really be able to handle any situation that might come up. If someone tries to hurt me, they will pay the price in blood. If they try to hurt someone I love and I'm there, that price will likely be paid with their life.

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not looking to get into fights or hurt anyone that doesn't deserve it. But if my life or my loved ones are threatened, I will pull no punches and show no mercy. No quarter will be granted in that situation. I could see in the Kravists that had been there a while had the kind of well-earned confidence that comes from the training. The teachers just radiated this presence that said nothing less than "Fuck with me at your peril".

Plus the workout will help me lose more weight, and that's a huge plus.

In the spirit of the Israeli Defense Force, where this art came from:

Lehitra'ot!

No comments:

Post a Comment