Friday, March 25, 2011

Day 74: Sucker Punched!

I took my daughter to go see Sucker Punch tonight. It's a decent flick, but on further reflection had I known more about it, I would have waited for DVD. The story shifts and changes pretty quickly. The timeline and storyline don't change up, but the sudden juxtapositions of the realities of the movie kind make you go "What the Hell?" But there was enough action and the story was easy enough for my daughter to follow, so we enjoyed our trip to the movies.

Prior to going in the theater, we had about an hour to kill so we went over to the arcade. We played a little air hockey and then she went to play the driving and dance games while I focused on one particular shooting game. She went through ten dollars worth of tokens where I only used 5 in the same time frame. But all that really matters is that we had a good time and spent some quality time together. After the arcade, we got some stuff from the concession stand. I got a hot dog and she got nachos and an Icee. I found out that Bobo does not like the concession hot dogs. It was too greasy and too salty. I ate maybe a quarter of it and then Bobo just said, "That's enough of that, boss. Yuck!" Not that I'm overly concerned about the whole thing. Just one more thing to learn.

There was one line in the movie that particularly stuck with me, it was this:

You will need to find five items. The first is a map. Then fire. Then a knife. And a key. The fifth thing is a mystery. Begin your journey. It will set you free.
The reason it stuck with me is because it reminded me of the journey we take as a sleever. The map is our plan to get to the surgery and life beyond the sleeve. The fire is the desire to get the sleeve and truly lose the weight for good. The knife I tend to think of as the surgery itself. The key to the whole thing is our will to do this and do everything we have to do to succeed (I tend to think to this as the will to conquer, which is the first condition of victory). The mystery, as revealed at the end of the movie is simple. The mystery is me. I'm the mystery. Everything else can be maintained and controlled to a great extent, but I am the random factor in the equation. If I eat the right things and do everything I need to do then I have to lose weight doing this. But if I skip working out or eat the wrong things, then things can go biblically pear-shaped very quickly. The last phrase is probably the most important. By starting my journey, I have set myself free from the bondage of my weight. All journeys take time, and the journey of weight loss is no different. It will take a while, but I will reach my destination of my goal weight.

To reach your own paradise. Just let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment