Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Day 114: Contemplations on support

Lately I've been noticing that while I'm pretty much solo on doing this at home, I have lots of people that are pulling for me and cheering me on and really providing moral support for me. I've also noticed that some people that have a significant other in their life, or a super close friend, you know, that person that's supposed to help them through everything and be there for them and that person is less than supportive. Or worse, they're inconsistant and supportive one minute and nasty and almost abusive the next.

Not only do I not understand that, I'm actually really offended by it. This person is supposed to be there and provide moral support when we're at our lowest point but they don't do that. Why? What's the point of being that close to someone if they aren't going to consistently provide that support. I know in some cases the best friend has always been the "pretty" one and now that we're losing a bunch of weight that position is threatened. The significant other...that's really bothersome to me. This person should be bending over backwards to provide support. We're trying to lose weight, to get healthier, to live longer to be with them as long as possible. But they don't do it. The inconsistant ones are the worst because you can't tell how they will react to any given event or piece of news.

Now that I think about it...sometimes this journey is better traveled as a solo traveler. Maybe some days I feel a little alone, but at least I know what to expect from it. Maybe if both people have had the surgery then it would be mutually supportive. But when one has had it and the other hasn't, they will never understand what we've fought against all our lives or how hard a decision it was to make to get the surgery and then the prep work needed to get qualified for the surgery. There's no way they can understand what it means to us to finally win the battle against our weight problem unless they have been fighting it themselves. They can't know what it means to undergo this major, life-changing surgery that can't be reversed. Once its done, there's no going back. We're like this for the rest of our lives. Watching what we eat, getting our protein and water, exercising. We can't slack off at any of it.

I thank God for my friends and family and that they have all been so supportive. And I'm going to be there for any of them whenever they need my support.

Min Tian Jian!

No comments:

Post a Comment